myChoice Meal Plan
For University Apartment & Commuter Students
The myChoice Meal Plan offers University apartment and commuter --who are not required to have a meal plan--the opportunity to explore and experience the benefits, variety and convenience of dining on campus with an abridged version of the myFlex or myGreatDane Meal Plans. Unlike the myFlex or myGreatDane plans, the myChoice plan does not allow additional Discount Dollars to be added and only one myChoice Plan can be purchased per semester.
The myChoice Meal Plan is a completely new kind of meal plan for the UAlbany campus! It was designed in response to students' requests to have greater flexibility to eat at retail venues. We also wanted to give students greater access to all the new and exciting Campus Center retail dining locations.
*In light of the hardships imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic, UAS is implementing a temporary change to the Discount Dollar policy. Any Discount Dollars remaining at the end of the Spring 2021 term will now roll over to the Fall 2021-Spring 2022 academic year.*
The plan works as follows:
- The myChoice Meal Plan has a base cost and a balance of Discount Dollars. This base cost covers utilities, maintenance, repairs, rent, and the labor needed to support the food service program.
- The myChoice Meal Plan allows you to use your Discount Dollars like a declining balance account on your ID card. Discount Dollars can be used at all retail and resident dining locations for meals and beverages. Each time you use your ID card at a dining location, your meal plan’s Discount Dollars will get activated and the venue-specific discount (a 50% discount at campus/Sodexo retail brands and 30% discount at local/national retail brands) will be automatically calculated and the balance will be debited for your purchase. Your remaining Discount Dollars balance will appear on the register display and your receipt. Remember also your meal plan is tax free, so you will also be saving an additional 8% on all discounted sale prices. Please note that other campus funds will not activate these discounts, i.e., Munch Money, Podium, Campus Gold, F/S Dining Plan.
If you go to the Fountain Grill and order a burger, fries and 24 oz beverage, you will pay:
$12.17* without Discount Dollars (plus tax)
$6.09* with Discount Dollars (50% discount, no tax added)
Note: Prices on the menu boards list the current retail prices. For students on meal plans, there is signage clearly indicating what discount is offered per venue (i.e., 60%, 50% or 30%). Applicable discounts are reflected at registers.
Meal plans are purchased per semester. The per semester pricing and details of the myChoice Meal Plan are as follows:
Fall 2021 Price
|Base Cost||Discount Dollars|
*The base cost covers utilities, maintenance, repairs, rent and the labor needed to support the food service program.
KOSHER: Though Kosher Kitchen will be closed, prepackaged kosher meals will be available for pick up at 518 Market. Please email IDcard@albany.edu to receive access to the preorder form. Kosher meals are discounted 30% for those on a myFlex or myChoice Meal Plan. Weekly menus are posted on the Kosher Kitchen webpage for review. Frozen kosher meals can also be purchased from 518 Market at the Campus Center.
- Available to university apartment and commuter students of any class standing.
- Only one myChoice Meal Plan can be purchased per semester.
- Additional Discount Dollars cannot be purchased.
- University Apartment or commuter students can change to any other myChoice Meal Plan (#1 - #3), myFlex Plan (#1 - #5), or myGreatDane Meal Plan (#1 - #2) during the add/change period.
- Meal plans are purchased per semester.
- Discount Dollars activate discounts at all campus-wide retail dining venues (50% off Sodexo/in-house brands and 30% off local/regional/national brands).
- 518 Market and vending do not provide a discount when using Discount Dollars (use Munch Money/Podium/Campus Gold/credit) - with the exception of green mountain coffee, fruits and vegetables, sushi.
- Discount Dollars carry over from fall semester to spring semester but expire at the end of spring semester
- Tax free (additional 8% savings on discounted sales price).
SUNY Poly students living at UAlbany may have different meal plan requirements based upon class year and residence. Please click here for additional details and information.
- Meal plans are activated when residence halls officially open for occupancy and end when they officially close. During times when the resident hall dining rooms are closed, but the resident halls are open, Discount Dollars and/or Munch Money can be used in retail locations.
- Non-freshmen students that have studied abroad, completed an internship or were off-campus for another approved reason during the previous semester and are now living in a resident hall, will automatically be assigned to the myFlex Meal Plan #2, but can change during the add/change period.
- If a resident hall student moves into a University apartment or off campus, his/her meal plan will be removed unless the student notifies the ID Card office requesting continuation of his/her meal plan.
- All meal plans (i.e., myGreatDane, myFlex and myChoice) and Munch Money are exempt from NYS sales tax, and therefore cannot be used to purchase guest meals, and cannot be refunded, changed or transferred after the add/drop period.
See the UAlbany Dining Meal Plan Refund/Change Policy for more information.